Sunday, December 6, 2020

The Lightkeeper's Daughter: An Honest Review


 The Lightkeeper's Daughter: Review

                                                                      ~5 stars~


Author: Colleen Coble

Title: The Lightkeeper's Daughter  

Series: Mercy Falls (Book #1)

Genre: FICTION/Christian/ Romance

Audience: Young Adult/ Adult 


Synopsis:

 

With the lies of the past behind her, Addie finds love . . . and discovers her true Father.

Addie Sullivan leads a quiet life in a northern California lighthouse. She mourns the death of her father and endures her mother's bitterness, until the night a storm brings an injured stranger and a dark secret to her home. The man insists she is not who she thinks she is, but rather "Julia Eaton"—the child long lost and feared dead by her wealthy family. Seizing the chance to be reunited with the
Eatons, Addie leaves her lighthouse home but decides to keep her true identity a secret until they can unravel the mystery.

Addie loves the Eatons' palatial home tucked away among the California redwood forests. She feels secure with the jovial family, adores the young boy who is her charge as governess, and finds romance with his father John, a young widower. But sinister shadows overtake Addie's joy. As dusty rooms and secret compartments give up their clues about her past, Addie finds a faith and a love she could never have guessed. To embrace this new world of promise is to risk her life; but to run away is to risk losing the greatest love she's ever known.

 My Review:

     First of all, this was the first book I have read by Colleen Coble. I had heard a lot of good things about her and I picked up the Mercy Falls trilogy for ten dollars, so I thought, even if there was one good story out of the three, it would still be worth it. Well, if you knew Colleen Coble then you know that her books are so worth it. 

     So, this book, the first in the trilogy, I finished the very same day it was delivered. We're talking forty good-length chapters. Forty. Now I have high expectations when it comes to books and this book met every single one. Let me explain a little more fully.

     I really love how I just reached the second or third chapter and I could already see a romance beginning to form. Also, Addie's faith is outstanding. I love how she puts her faith into every decision she makes and her whole love evolves around it. And the fact that she is able to share her Christianity with everyone she meets without shame or timidity is profound. I think Adaline - out of all the books I've read - has the best, most intimate, real, almost tangible, relationship with God that I have ever read. Even when she let the demands of others consume her sometimes she always came to God asking for  forgiveness, though my admiration for her never dimmed. It was good to see a character who had a  wonderful relationship with God while still having to face trials.

 
    
 Now John North...very much like his character development. He starts off as a very wholesome man, though his relationship with the Lord isn't personal, and he has somewhat fallen away. I love how Addie is able to lead him back to Christ, and near the end how John's faith is clearly shown is breath-taking. His love for Addie is just so pure and beautiful. Even though he knows of her innocence when it comes to love he doesn't misuse or manipulate the love she feels for him. Also, something very important for me is respect in the characters relationships. John and Addie had that respect which made you root for their relationship to succeed till the very end. It wasn't based on physical or sexual attraction but on a love for each other for who they were inside.

    And the amount of action in this is...wow! *Spoiler Alert!* I love secret identities and this was full of them. It turns out that the bad guy was actually the one good guy and all the people I thought were genuine were actually...well...the villains. I really like it when I think I know what's taking place and then the writer puts a total spin on things! I believe it's really amazing how Coble can weave such intricate plots...trust me I know how hard it is. And most importantly, when you find out the truth it actually all fits into place, no holes in her stories. This tells me that she puts a great amount of care into her books. And there's a very happy, yet realistic ending, which I always love to see!

    Altogether, I think that this book is a must-have. Must have. If you love faith, romance, and historical fiction then this is the book for you! All thoughts and opinions expressed are strictly my own.

    Thank you for reading and don't forget to follow me for more reviews! 😁


    
 
 
 
 
 
         
     
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Redeemer: An Honest Review

  Redeemer Enslaved Book #3 ~ 5 stars ~  Author: Katie Clark Title: Redeemer Series: Enslaved Genre: Dystopian Fiction Audience: Young A...